Wednesday, August 28, 2024

 As I was slowly pushing my breakfast muesli around in its bowl  - it had to be softened by the yogurt - a face loomed in the kitchen window.  It was a very tall man, hat on head, long thin cheroot between lips - and blue eyes to die for...In other words it was my Dutch workman who is only supposed to come three days a week.  Today was not one of his days.

He wandered into the kitchen and reached for the tea - caddy....his black tea cup and saucer have a permanent place on my kitchen table...and made his cup of tea. Yes, yes, he feels very much at home in my kitchen.

Why today, I asked (after he had had his first sip of tea)..not expecting any very serious answer.  Well, apparently his Wednesday employer was out of cash. So he decided to come to La Chaise to do some of his allotted work a day early.

My reason for giving only three days a week employment to skilled workers is simple:   I am 80 years old, not sure how much longer I shall be a work giver and - should I suddenly cease - they may have lost contacts with possible other employers,  leaving them financially stranded for a period.  Also, to be honest, I need time off from workmen...

However, there is an awful lot of work to be done to maintain La Chaise - a 30 hectare estate of mixed woodland and pasture. So I need not only carpenters but also wood -cutters, fence fixers  - the wild boar from the woods wreaks havoc on the fences. The deer eat the new growth.. Fortunately some of my wood-cutters are also hunters in their spare time - 

Over the years I have got to know most of their families, some from birth.  There is a possessiveness in their attitude to their work for La Chaise (note I do not say 'me'!) and they all have opinions, frequently expressed, on how what should be done on the land and in its woods.

I could hardly be said to be 'the owner' of La Chaise - I just manage it as best as my friends can to the benefit of all of us.







No comments:

Post a Comment