Friday, August 23, 2024

A very clever French solution.....clients take charge

 As someone whose social, intellectual and commercial life - in short, whose very life, is based on and in the local cafe -  I worry each summer that the cafe will shut for a while.     French workers have an inalienable right to a summer holiday it would seem - so how to replace those who give the cafe its unique ambiance?   You have to admire the waiter's skill while - with a drinks laden tray on the open left hand the right hand deftly uncorks a bottle, pops a can, unscrews a water bottle.

  So last Wednesday I took my usual place, opened my copy  of Liberation,  unfolded my copy of the New York Times waited for my wine and water to arrive...One of the regular clients walked to my table - put down my glass of wine, then - not very deftly - opened my bottle of Perrier. Startled, I looked up - said thank you....then looked around...Another one of the regular clients was serving another table....  I put down my glass of wine, put my head in my hands...the question...???Do I  tip the servers, if yes, how much????

No comments:

Post a Comment